Tuesday 1 April 2014

My Luxe Lifestyle Secrets - Lisa Brown

Australian fashion designer


With her distinctly feminine and romantic clothing designs, it’s hard to believe that Lisa Brown is a tomboy at heart.  Born in Maitland NSW as the youngest of 6 children, Lisa was a skateboarding, rugby playing, surfer-child. 

Facing financial hardship after a bold life change, Lisa’s creative energy was realised as she customised op-shop and vintage fashion finds to dress herself. Soon people started asking her about her creations and so, the inception for Lisa Brown the fashion label was born.

The success of Lisa’s label is the determined pursuit of good design and quality of make – she produces clothing women want to wear, and importantly, clothing that suits a woman’s body.

Now living on the Gold Coast with her family, it seems Lisa has the perfect work/life balance – surfing in the morning, doing a job that is her passion and relaxing in the evening with the people she loves.

Australian fashion designer

 What’s the first thing you think of in the morning? 
I usually check what the surf is like; it’s the best way to start my day

I’m happiest when: 
There are plenty of things that make me happy. When I’m surfing and designing, when the creative juices are flowing.

from top: Steph Gilmore, Leo, Lisa, Isabel Marant spring
If I weren’t a fashion designer I’d be a: 
Pro surfer (Steph Gilmore)

Who was your teacher and what did you learn?  
I have been taught mostly from observation and working various jobs.

What star sign are you? 
I’m a Leo.

What role do you think fate has played in your life? I decided to leave my home town and a secure job and move to QLD, I had no money to buy luxury clothing, so I had to draw on my creative side. I started to recreate op shop items by cutting and dying and then finally taught myself to sew and haven’t looked back since. So being financially poor for a sometime was a positive...would you call that fate?

Tell us something we don't know about you:
I’m very much a tomboy; I can do 3 x 360’s on a skateboard in a row.

What are you most grateful for?  
My two healthy girls and a great lifestyle.

Do you have a signature dish? 
Lychee red duck curry 

I have a style crush on: 
Isabel Marant especially her spring lookbook styling.

What keeps you grounded? 

My Children, my work colleagues, failures and coming from a large family of 6 children I don’t think they would allow me to get too big for my boots.

What keeps you motivated?
I don’t give up easily; I think it’s just something inside, a determination that keeps me motivated. Also seeing my clothing on such a diverse mix, that inspires me to keep creating.

How do you relax?
Having a surf in the morning and a red wine in the evening.I have a great lifestyle and don't feel the need to travel far to relax.


Lisa will be joining us this Thursday, April 3 between 5pm and 9pm at our Brisbane store for the annual James Street Up Late fashion event. Come join us for some bubbles, fashion and one-night-olny great offers. We will also be exclusively previewing her Spring/Summer 2014 range. 

St Barts Brisbane is at 6/31 James Street Fortitude Valley.  








No comments:

Post a Comment